Expectations and Goals in Communications course

My Ultimate Goal is....

To Improve My Cognitive Complexity!!

I Will Accomplish This Goal By....

1.  Developing Conversational Sensibility 

2. Improving Self-Monitoring 

3. Improving My Ability to Understand and Share Feeling of Another 

I hope that this course is going to show me how to master and apply Conversational Sensibility whenever I respond to Q&A after presentations, because that way I can understand other's feelings and attitudes.  Self-monitoring needs to be practiced through careful observation of my daily habits and tone of voice and attitude towards my friends and family. Taking mental and physical notes of my habits and communication will be helpful. I believe that careful inspection of a  person's style of communication and character will help me be more empathic. 


As a communicator, I have several weaknesses

1. I tend to misunderstand information provided by the person because I am rush with conclusions.

2. I do not listen actively if it doesn't concern me, meaning if I hear an exciting fact I automatically want to share my opinion and  I just wait for my turn to speak instead of understanding my listener's opinion.

3.  Disinhibition- I tend to share sensitive information without considering their consequence. For example, I once told my mom about the surprise that my brother made for her and the surprise wasn't as fun anymore because my mom already knew about it. 

As a communicator, I have several strengths:

1. I do not " flame" or get aggravated easily by someone having a different opinion than me. I am respectful of other's opinions, especially, when it comes to dinners and family's parties. 

2.  I am great with choosing a medium. Whenever I meet a new family friend I always address them as Mrs. or Mr. unless otherwise stated by them. A day ago, I have met my friend's mom who greeted me by saying " Hello. My name is Jennifer", so I replied as " Nice to meet you, Jennifer", because that is how she decided to address herself to me and I wasn't going to just awkwardly state her Last Name. 

3. I respect my friend's need for undivided attention, so whenever I pull out my phone and someone is talking directly to me- I usually feel uncomfortable, so I just put it away and get it out again once the conversation is over. When I went a car meet last Sunday-I checked my phone periodically, but I never stared at it directly when my friend David talked to me.

The challenges I anticipate are...

1. Time management. Since I am a freshman at JJC, I am still new to the iCampus and college workload. It will be difficult to focus on myself and my communication while being concerned for my deadlines and essays.

2. Motivation. Whenever there are too many things to do I get overwhelmed, so I just decide to give up and this leads to procrastination.  

Something I can do to overcome these challenges is to set up phone reminders to start working on the assignment and reminders to take breaks every two to three hours. Taking breaks will eliminate stress; therefore making me more productive and organized. To help with motivation I would reward myself every time I get a major assignment done. Hanging out with friends after completing work for the day could be one of the rewards that I will implement. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dandelions: The Uncommon Weed Analysis

PRCA-24 Communication Apprehension